Redesigning

As the weeks get closer to the EurekaFest trip, the team is continuing complete the full redesign of our machine. The main challenge the mechanical team has been facing is finding parts to use in the prototype. The mechanical team has been working very hard to complete the full AutoCad model and detailed sketches of our machine. We now have a solid plan going into the next phases of the project and are just waiting on our parts to arrive.

IMG_8016.JPG

For electrical and software, the PCB is almost done. Using a laser cutter, we created a control panel base for the machine’s button controls, and mounted the buttons onto the base. After wiring and labelling each input and output for data, 3V power, 12V power and ground, we soldered all of the connections to ensure they would not come loose, especially since the LEDs would often not light up when they were supposed to. Once all LEDs had been replaced, we ordered some more buttons for replacement parts in case something burned out or broke. We also labelled the buttons with the directions they correspond to, which we printed on paper and cut and taped in. However, the paper was too thick for the light to shine through, and so instead, we ordered transparency paper to print on. To incorporate sound upon pressing buttons to make the game more exciting for students (based on our audience research visit), we began looking for fun audio and speakers.

We just officially turned in our forms and are all super excited for our trip this summer. Stay tuned for pictures of our final design!